National Brain Tumor Society is the largest non-profit organization solely dedicated to the brain tumor community in the United States. We are fiercely committed to our mission of finding better treatments, and ultimately a cure, for brain tumors. We’ve seen unprecedented progress and momentum to find better treatments. This is an exciting and deeply satisfying time to be part of an organization and team that is dedicated to change and a strong, recognized cause.
The A/P Accountant ensures payables and payroll are properly executed and recorded in the Organization’s accounting system(currently Great Plains, with a transition to NetSuite currently in progress). Candidate will be involved in the transition from our current accounting software to a new, cloud-based platform. Specific duties will include:
- Process all vendor payments and staff reimbursements, ensuring charges are approved by proper staff.
- Take ownership of the corporate credit card program, including issuance of cards, establishing accounts, and ensuring all charges are supported and approved by supervisors timely.
- Oversee and maintain the accounts payable files.
- Oversee W-9 management and 1099 year-end tax reporting.
- Monitor related bank balances and transactions
- Initiate ACH transfers as requested by the CFO/Finance Manager
- Forecasting short-term cash requirements
- Monthly account reconciliations
- Enter and process bi-weekly payroll (multi-state payroll experience required). Review for accuracy, make adjustments as directed and submit to the payroll company.
- Record payroll journal entries, ensuring proper allocation.
- Prepare journal entries such asdepreciation, accrued payroll, and other month-end entries as directed by the Finance Manager.
- Prepare reconciliations for credit cards and assigned general ledger accounts.
- Assist Finance Manager with preparation of materials for month-end close and audits
Key attributesto be successful in this role:
- Tenacity and intellectual curiosity – ability to track down details when data is incomplete.
- Outgoing personality who can work with vendors and remote employees in a friendly, positive manner that builds strong relationships.
- Willingness to learn in an environment that’s changing for the better.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a deadline-driven department.
- An ability to evaluate and streamline/improve processes
- Analytical and data-driven
- Passion for our mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- The ability to follow policies and procedures in order to practice proper internal controls.
- Payroll processing in multi-state environment required.
- Knowledge of Great Plains accounting softwareFamiliarity with NetSuite and Commonwealth Payrollis also helpful.
- Minimum 2-5 years of accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Proficientin Excel. Familiarity with Pivot Tables and advanced functions (VLOOKUP) helpful.