Reports To: Chief Strategy and Development Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: October 2021
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
Reporting to the CSDO, the Associate Director manages mission-critical enterprise-level project processes that require complex collaboration between a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. Projects will span organizational programmatic areas, which seek to defeat brain brain tumors through cutting-edge treatment development initiatives, connect patients and care partners to the resources needed to navigate their diagnosis, and change the healthcare landscape through public policy advocacy. The Associate Director will be instrumental in each stage of the project lifecycle, from initiation and planning to ensuring successful deliverables and producing final retrospective project reports.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Supervision Exercised: None.
- Support organizational strategic goals by managing enterprise-wide project processes related to key initiatives such as Brain Tumor Awareness Month (BTAM), Childhood Cancer Awareness Month (CCAM), Glioblastoma (GBM) Awareness Day, the annual end-of-year fundraising appeal, and building capacity through the developing venture philanthropy fund in partnership with the CEO.
- Assist the CSDO in defining the purpose, objectives, and scope of each project.
- Work closely with the CSDO to establish detailed project plans, including relevant KPIs, metrics, timelines, milestones, budget, deliverables, and risk assessments.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to coordinate staff and internal resources.
- Keep all relevant stakeholders informed about project progress through clear, consistent status updates and visually-oriented status dashboards.
- Monitor project progress and adapt work as required to ensure projects meet final deadlines and intermediate milestones.
- Collaborate closely with senior leadership to address potential changes to project scope, timelines, or budget.
- Take a proactive approach to problem-solving and effectively manage challenges to ensure that projects are completed successfully.
- Conduct project reviews and present retrospective reports to executive leadership.
- Ensure accountability and deadline adherence across all project teams through regular check-ins and monitoring of project timelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent prior work experience required.
- 5-7 years of professional experience in project management required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex, cross-departmental projects across matrixed organizations required.
- Experience in complex nonprofit, healthcare, or pharmaceutical sectors preferred.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification a plus.
Required Skills & Competencies:
- Skilled at planning and executing specific projects in alignment with larger organizational strategic plans.
- Keen attention to detail and a strong commitment to producing high-quality results, meeting stakeholder needs, and fostering positive, inclusive team culture.
- Ability to identify priority project tasks, gather input and guidance, and accomplish them independently with minimal additional oversight.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and timelines.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with an ability to anticipate challenges and propose solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong communication, collaboration, and delegation skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organizations relevant to ongoing projects.
- Ability to move projects forward and hold team members accountable for assigned tasks while maintaining a positive work environment.
- Familiar with current industry standards related project management best practices, techniques, and software.
- Confidentiality and discretion when handling confidential matters.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and curious learner.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Remote (core hours 9:00am to 5:00pm EST, primary work location must be in the Eastern or Central time zone of the United States) or on-site at NBTS headquarters in the Boston area.
- This is a full-time exempt position.
- Travel to headquarters and/or meeting locations by car and/or plane may be required less than 10% of the time.
- Role is largely sedentary, and may require infrequent light physical effort. On-site work is performed in an ADA compliant office environment, and workspace may be shared.
- Must be able to sit or stand in a stationary position for extended periods of time. This role frequently involves communicating on the phone and using a computer for long periods of time.
NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.