Reports To: CEO
FLSA Status: Full Time Exempt
Date: January 2021
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- MBA degree and/or CPA license preferred; B.A. or B.S. undergraduate degree required
- 15 years of progressive financial leadership experience
- Core understanding of GAAP accounting, nonprofit 501(c)(3) financial reporting, financial operations, treasury and tax
- Experience leading nonprofit finance activities, including budgeting, forecasting, modeling, strategic planning, financial analysis, investor and donor relations, financing, fundraising and M&A
- Experience working with and presenting complex financials to Board, and Finance Committees
- Excellent leadership and communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
- Strong staff management, team-builder/partner with critical thinking skills
- Knowledge of Salesforce or comparable CRM systems
- Knowledge of NetSuite preferred; experience in comparable accounting software packages and with accounting process automation required
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a representative list of the general duties the position may be asked to perform, and is not intended to be
- Oversee and ensure quality control over critical financial activities including: accounting, purchasing, audits, financial reporting, treasury, investments, insurance, tax and regulatory compliance while ensuring timely, accurate and compliant reporting
- Consults with the CEO and board finance committee to establish benchmarks for financial performance. Works with banking and investment managers to ensure proper balance between investment return, operating cash requirements, and revenue restrictions.
- Oversees daily operations including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, payroll, grant and fund accounting, purchasing, and fixed assets
- Oversees and provides analysis for the monthly and annual closing process
- Lead financial planning and analysis processes including: budgeting, forecasting, long-range strategic planning, and ad-hoc analytics
- Through collaborative internal partnerships, provide business leaders and stakeholders consultative support, thoughtful analysis, relevant KPIs and actionable insights to facilitate management and data driven decisions
- Provide financial leadership on strategic initiatives, including new business development, partnerships, M&A and financing activities
- Maintain strong external relationships with a wide range of external advisors and vendors, including: audit, tax, business partners, investment bankers, commercial bankers, investors, key vendors, insurance brokers and other professionals
- Manage best practices for financial reporting and performance analysis
- Ensure compliance with financial commitments and agreements
- Provide accurate and timely financial reporting
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of tax returns
- Operate as liaison to Finance committee of the Board
- Ensure strong control environment, through policy and practice
- Manage investment policies with other stakeholders as appropriate
- Provide strong people leadership and personnel development, embracing NBTS’s core values
Additional Skills and Competencies
- Display excellent judgement, leadership and interpersonal skills by exhibiting high integrity, mastery of subject matter and authenticity
- Naturally seeks to bring together internal stakeholders to address organization wide financial and business needs
- Demonstrate a team-oriented “organization first” mindset
- Show flexibility and adaptability in a collaborative, rapidly changing environment
- Operate proactively as a self-starter with a sense of urgency and purpose
- Work effectively with all levels of the organization as leader and as a supporter of other projects leads
- Has executive presence and facility to present information to external audiences
- Exhibit strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Apply a curious and data-driven mindset
- Grasp complex issues facing the company and distill them quickly
- Relentlessly results-oriented
Physical Demands and Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Remote (core hours 9:00am to 5:00pm EST, primary work location must be in the United States) or on-site at NBTS headquarters in Newton, MA
- Travel by car and/or plane throughout the US may be required approximately 5% of the time.
- Role is largely sedentary, with infrequent light physical effort required. On-site work is performed in an ADA compliant office environment, and workspace may be shared.
NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or
other applicable legally protected characteristics.