Reports to: Director of HR & Administration
FLA Status: Exempt
Date: August 2019
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments and advocate for patients and their care partners.
NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include increased federal funding for brain tumor research, improved clinical trials, the enactment of the most comprehensive childhood cancer law in decades, and improved clinical trial education.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
The HR & Office Coordinator provides assistance and support to the Director of HR & Administration. This includes, but is not limited to, participating in the delivery of HR and office initiatives, performance improvement, continuous quality improvement activities and other significant projects as required.
No supervisory duties required.
HR-Related Duties and Responsibilities (estimated 70% of role):
- Contributes to creating positive workplace culture
- Process new hire paperwork, applications, background checks
- Assists with Training/Learning
- Assists with annual performance review process
- Coordinates employee recognition program
- Assist with recruiting new personnel
- Assist in new hire onboarding, scheduling, and training
- Pre-screening applicants, and scheduling phone and in-person interview
- Assist employees with benefits-related questions and updates as needed as well as drop/add benefits administration, including 401(k)
- Assist in administration and reporting of Payroll/Time-off Tracking system
- Responds to basic benefit/policy questions from employees
- Assist with preparation of annual filings for benefit plans
- Maintain accurate and updated employee records for all staff
- Organizes and updates personnel files, including drafting correspondence and offer letters under Director’s supervision
Office Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities (estimated 30% of role):
- Present professional first point of contact for visitors and callers
- Answer and direct inbound phone calls
- Order office supplies and maintain common spaces (reception, kitchen, conference rooms, storage) for appearance and functionality
- Enter accounts payable/vendor invoices into accounting system
- Reconcile monthly credit card transactions
- Ensure printers/fax machines are stocked with paper at all times
- Order food for in-house meetings, help research and plan off-site staff events
- Serve as liaison and first point of contact for offsite IT team
- Standardize and streamline operations procedures; document processes for all staff
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Superior professional decorum, judgement and discretion is required as employee will handle sensitive confidential personnel files.
- HR & Office Coordinator experience required (1-2 years minimum), including knowledge of how to post and monitor jobs on various sites
- Highly organized and general office administrative skills
- High proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Proactive self-starter with ability to problem-solve
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments.
- Strong writing, proofreading, and communications skills
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Work performed in an office environment
- No travel required