Reports To: Chief of Marketing & Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: June 2022
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
The social media manager will be responsible for overseeing NBTS interaction with the public by strategizing, implementing and creating social media content across the organization to enhance the NBTS brand. Duties will include analyzing engagement data, identifying trends in customer interactions and planning digital campaigns to build community online.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervision Exercised: No supervisory duties required.
- Develop and manage a social media guide to enhance the NBTS brand across platforms
- Develop creative social media marketing strategies to complement NBTS campaigns and initiatives and analyze results to propose improvements on future campaigns
- Develop strategies to grow and better engage audiences across platforms
- Analyze the organization’s digital marketing plan and social media strategy, identify strategic weaknesses, and make recommendations for improvements
- Content Creation:
- Write new copy as needed and edit content produced by others
- Create simple videos and livestream events on social media as needed
- Edit simple graphics as necessary and work with our graphic designer to create compelling visual content across platforms
- Create social media toolkits for priority campaigns and initiatives
- Manage the day-to-day operations across all social media platforms for NBTS
- Monitor and ensure timely responses to all messages and inquiries on social media; triage and/or craft responses as appropriate
- Work with cross-matrixed functional teams to develop and execute social media marketing campaigns
- Execute advertising campaigns on select social media platforms (at present, Twitter and LinkedIn)
- Coordinate and execute event-day coverage for major NBTS fundraising and awareness events
- Monitor NBTS mentions and brain tumor-relevant items, report findings to leadership, and reshare as appropriate
- Analytics and Reporting:
- Implement surveys and polls to gauge user interest and improve content
- Analyze data to gauge ROI on different types of content
- Set key performance indicators (KPIs) for social media campaigns, and measure a campaign’s performance against the KPIs
- Report on organizational performance on social media at the campaign level, at the enterprise level, and in comparison with peer organizations
- Research and keep staff and leadership abreast of social media trends, updates, algorithms, and best practices
- Provide language to executive leaders to share on personal social channels
- Train and support staff members who manage NBTS accounts on social media
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent prior experience required
- 3-5 years demonstrated experience, preferably in nonprofit communications
Required Skills, Knowledge, & Abilities:
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Basic skills in video and photo editing for social media
- Proficient in social media software to schedule posts, analyze data, and follow conversations (i.e., Hootsuite, Sprout Social, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube etc.), industry trends, and audiences
- Proven ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and activities simultaneously
- Impeccable judgment and ability to display diplomacy, tact, and cultural competence in professional contexts
- Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to high quality work
- Strong experience Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Google Apps Suite (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.)
- Team player who focuses on high productivity and results
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Remote. This role requires a primary work location in the Eastern or Central time zones of the United States.
- This is a full-time exempt position. Core hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm EST.
- Travel to headquarters and/or meeting locations by car and/or plane may be required less than 10% of the time.
- Role is largely sedentary, and may require infrequent light physical effort.
- Must be able to sit or stand in a stationary position for extended periods of time. This role frequently involves communicating on the phone and using a computer for long periods of time.
NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.