Skip to content
BACK to Stories

Fighting Something I Never Thought Was Possible

Published on August 12, 2014 in Share Your Story

Fighting Something I Never Thought Was Possible


It was October of 2010 and I had my first race on the up coming Saturday. I had joined the cross country team for my high school and I felt more confident than ever because I was involved with something I loved doing. I had walked out of art class because I wasn’t feeling well and passed out on the stairs on my way to the nurses office. It hadn’t been too long since I was knocked out, so I got back up and continued my way but only more concerned. My mom picked me up from school and took me to the ER. They gave me CT scan and I was told I had a sinus infection. My mom didn’t buy it what so ever so she demanded an MRI.

As I was laying in my bed, doctors came in with a wheel chair and told me they were admitting me. I was sleepy and wanted to sleep but the nurses wouldn’t let me. Next thing I knew at least ten doctors walked into my room and explained I had a brain tumor and that I had to have it removed that following morning. They removed it through my left nostril. They sent me home two days after surgery and I realized something wasn’t right. My best friend Rachel was by my side and walked me out to the couch. I started throwing up and next thing I knew I couldn’t stay awake.

The ambulance took me back to the hospital and they said I was hours within dying. We found out that my surgeon had cut my brain and caused me to have a brain bleed. I ended up staying there for a good two weeks. Missing not only my first race, but Halloween as well. After those two weeks I returned home and felt better over the days. Then on December of 2012, I noticed my symptoms coming back. So on January of 2012, I had another MRI. we found out the tumor had come back and was dangerously close to my carotid artery. On February 11th, I had yet another brain surgery to remove my tumor. This time they had gone through my septum and fixed up some mistake my last surgeon had made. I went home about five or six days afterwards and healed very quickly. To this day as I know of, my brain tumor has yet to come back. But I’ve learned not to take life for granted because it can truly be taken at any moment.

Stay Informed & Connected