Treatments for recurrent brain tumor may be exactly the same as your original or primary treatment path, or they may be quite different depending on the current location and rate of growth for your recurrent tumor. This can raise a number of questions.
Brain Tumor Recurrence Key Questions:
- What are the treatment options for brain tumor recurrence and are they different from the treatment for my original tumor?
- Are there any clinical trials for which I may be eligible?
- Who on my care team will be responsible for my follow-up care?
Symptoms & Side Effects
- What side effects should I expect from treatment and what can I do to manage them?
- When should I call you for immediate help?
- Is there a social worker on staff that can provide guidance and assistance?
- Where can I, my caregiver and family find mental health support services?
- Will I need rehabilitative services? If so, which ones and for how long?
- What if I don’t meet my rehabilitative goals before my benefits run out?
- Can you tell me about any financial support services, from either the hospital, company that produces my treatment, or local charities that my family and I can use to help with the cost of my treatment and other hardships we may be facing related to my brain tumor recurrence?
- Do you have any special rates for people paying out-of-pocket?
- Will I need long-term care service? Should I be planning financially for long-term medical care such as a nursing home or hospice?
- Who can help me understand Medicare and my state’s Medicaid rules for long-term care and my eligibility?
Palliative Care & Quality of Life
- Can we discuss a plan for quality of life and palliative care?